Laying Your Burdens Down

packages, problems, issues, worries, burdens
The other day, I was quickly walking through a business center towards my destination.  As I passed by one of the many glass doors, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a woman headed toward the door carrying two very large boxes.  Instead of continuing on, I back tracked a few steps and held the door open for her.  She thanked me as she walked through with the boxes, then we continued on our separate ways.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
 and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 (NIV)

Why did I stop and hold the door open?  Was it because I was raised to be courteous and considerate?  Or was it memories from my career as a trainer/speaker?  I wondered about that because I know how hard it is come up to a door carrying a heavy load and have to either sit it down or lean it against the wall while to trying to open the door, and then have to try to pick it up again or shift the load with the door open while trying to get through.  Getting through the door with packages is not very time consuming, but it can be frustrating to manage a load in this way.  Even when using a cart or trolley, it can still be a hassle to get through a door with those packages.

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; 
he will never permit the righteous to be moved." Psalm 55:22 (ESV)

Why am I telling you this story?  As I moved on to my destination, I thought about how we so often carry both internal and external burdens needlessly.  God says to give them to him , he will pick it up, and he will take care of it.  You do not have to worry or struggle with it anymore, so do not try to pick it up again.  Thinking about this, do you have something in your life that you need to "let go and let God" about in prayer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. If you want it published, please keep it clean